(New American Roget's College Thesaurus)
n. furrow, crease, pucker, fold, corrugation, rumple; crinkle, crow's-foot; informal, angle, development, gimmick. —v. t. crease, rumple, fold.
(Roget's IV) n.
Syn. crease, furrow, crinkle, ridge, fold, corrugation, line, crow's foot, pucker, pleat.
1. [To form into wrinkles]
Syn. rumple, crease, furrow, screw up, pucker, cockle, twist, crumple, compress, crinkle.
Ant. straighten*, smooth out, iron.
2. [To become wrinkled]
Syn. grow old, shrivel up, become warped, dry up, wither lose shape; see also wither .
(Roget's 3 Superthesaurus)
1. crinkle furrow, ridge, crease, crimp, pucker, line, rumple, fold, pleat, crow's foot, laugh line, frown line.
2. idea trick, device, gimmick.
crinkle, furrow, crease, crimp, pucker, line, rumple, fold, pleat, corrugate, scrunch up.
(Roget's Thesaurus II) I noun 1. A line or an arrangement made by the doubling of one part over another: crease, crimp, crinkle, crumple, fold, pleat, plica, plication, pucker, rimple, ruck2, rumple. See SMOOTH. 2. An indentation or seam on the skin, especially on the face: crease, crinkle, furrow, line. See SMOOTH. 3. Informal. A clever, unexpected new trick or method: gimmick, twist. Informal: kicker. Slang: angle2, kick. See ABILITY, EXCITE, GOOD. II verb To make irregular folds in, especially by pressing or twisting: crease, crimp, crinkle, crumple, rimple, rumple. See SMOOTH.

English dictionary for students. 2013.


Look at other dictionaries:

  • Wrinkle — Wrin kle, n. [OE. wrinkil, AS. wrincle; akin to OD. wrinckel, and prob. to Dan. rynke, Sw. rynka, Icel. hrukka, OHG. runza, G. runzel, L. ruga. ????.] [1913 Webster] 1. A small ridge, prominence, or furrow formed by the shrinking or contraction… …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Wrinkle — Wrin kle, v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Wrinkled}; p. pr. & vb. n. {Wrinkling}.] [1913 Webster] 1. To contract into furrows and prominences; to make a wrinkle or wrinkles in; to corrugate; as, wrinkle the skin or the brow. Sport that wrinkled Care derides …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • wrinkle — wrinkle1 [riŋ′kəl] n. [ME wrinkel, a wrinkle, prob. back form. < wrinkled < OE (ge)wrinclod, pp. of (ge)wrinclian, to wind about, akin to wringan, to press, WRING] 1. a small ridge or furrow in a normally smooth surface, caused by… …   English World dictionary

  • wrinkle — [n] crinkle, fold contraction, corrugation, crease, crow’s foot*, crumple, depression, furrow, gather, line, pleat, plica, pucker, ridge, rimple, rumple, tuck; concepts 418,513 Ant. smoothness wrinkle [v] crinkle, fold compress, corrugate, crease …   New thesaurus

  • Wrinkle — Wrin kle, n. A winkle. [Local, U. S.] [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Wrinkle — Wrin kle, v. i. To shrink into furrows and ridges. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • wrinkle — index artifice, contort Burton s Legal Thesaurus. William C. Burton. 2006 …   Law dictionary

  • wrinkle — ► NOUN 1) a slight line or fold, especially in fabric or the skin of the face. 2) informal a minor difficulty. 3) informal a clever innovation, or useful piece of information or advice. ► VERB ▪ make or become wrinkled. DERIVATIVES wrinkled… …   English terms dictionary

  • Wrinkle — A wrinkle is a ridge or crease of a surface. It usually refers to folds on fabric or clothes, or on the skin of an organism; the folds are generally random and do not exhibit any repeating pattern. In skin or other foldable material a wrinkle or… …   Wikipedia

  • wrinkle — n. crease 1) to make a wrinkle 2) to iron out, press out wrinkles innovation (colloq.) 3) the latest wrinkle in (the latest wrinkle in marketing home computers) * * * [ rɪŋk(ə)l] press out wrinkles [ crease ] to make a wrinkle [ crease ] to make… …   Combinatory dictionary

  • wrinkle — I UK [ˈrɪŋk(ə)l] / US noun [countable, usually plural] Word forms wrinkle : singular wrinkle plural wrinkles 1) a line that appears on your skin when you get older, or when your skin has been damaged by the sun 2) an accidental fold in a piece of …   English dictionary

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.